- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon buckwheat flour (you can just use plain flour if you’d prefer)
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- melted butter, plus extra for frying
- 1 2/3 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus extra for serving (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 8 rashers of smoked, streaky bacon
- 3/4 cups sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 limes
- A few sprigs coriander
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the two flours with a good pinch of salt. In a jug whisk together the eggs, butter, milk and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup until smooth.
- Pour the liquid into the flour and whisk until you have a smooth batter. Leave to rest for half an hour if you can.
- When you’re ready to make the pancakes, preheat your oven to a very low heat, to keep the pancakes and bacon warm whilst you make the rest of them
- Place a medium frying pan on a medium heat and add a small cube of butter. When the pan is hot, pour in a ladle of the batter and swirl around the pan.
- Cook until golden, then flip and cook on the other side for a minute or two. Fold the pancake in half, then half again and place on a tray to keep warm in the oven while you repeat.
- At the same time, lay the bacon out in a frying pan. Place on medium heat and fry on both sides until lightly golden – you shouldn’t need to add any fat.
- Drizzle in the remaining maple syrup and caramelise in the pan for a few minutes. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Ripple together the sour cream and chipotle paste. Cut the avo into slices, halve the limes and pick the coriander leaves.
- Serve the pancakes with all the toppings, and tuck in.
Looking for a savoury pancake recipe with a twist? Made with Canadian maple syrup, these light and fluffy pancakes are paired with crispy bacon, creamy avocado and spicy chipotle mayo. The result is a rich tapestry of tastes and textures, with the dish reminiscent of your favourite fancy brunch spot.
If you like the look of these bacon pancakes, make sure to check out some of our other maple syrup pancake recipes below!
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetiser to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you!