For the tofu:
- 1 ⅗ cups firm tofu
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp soy sauce
- 3 tsp hoisin sauce
- 3 tsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 pinch of chilli flakes
- Juice of ½ lime
For the vegetable rolls:
- 1 cucumber, diced
- ½ red cabbage, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into batons
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 3 carrots, grated
- ½ head of Romaine lettuce
- 15 rice paper sheets
- Mint, 2-3 leaves per spring roll
- Basil, 2-3 leaves per spring roll
For the peanut dipping sauce:
- 1 ⅗ cups peanut butter
- ⅗ cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp maple vinegar
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp + ½ tsp lime juice
- 2 pinches of chilli flakes
- Handful of peanuts for decoration
To make the tofu and sauce:
- Mix all ingredients together (except tofu) until combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the mixture, the cubed tofu and a pinch of salt.
- Pan fry until the tofu is a light golden colour on 3-4 sides, about 5 minutes. Wait until each side has browned before turning for easy release from the pan.
To make the rolls:
- Fill a shallow, wide bowl with warm water.
- Lightly wet the surface of a chopping board.
- Dip a rice paper sheet into the bowl of water and circle the paper around so that the entire surface is moistened.
- Transfer the rice paper sheet onto the wet board.
- Place a lettuce leaf on top of the rice paper.
- Then, lay the vegetables, tofu, mint and basil on top, about ½ to 1 inch away from the bottom of the sheet.
- Starting from the bottom of the sheet, start rolling everything towards the middle.
- Fold the left and right sides of the wrapper towards the centre and finish rolling up the spring roll. N.B. If you find that the sheets are quite stiff, let them sit on your cutting board for an extra 10 to 15 seconds to soften. Then, roll up the spring rolls.
To make the dipping sauce:
- Put all dipping sauce ingredients in a food processor then blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a serving dish and top with peanuts.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetiser to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you!