for the hot cross buns
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup dairy-free spread
- 3 1/4 cups + 3 tsp granary bread flour
- 7g sachet of instant dry yeast
- 4 tbsp maple sugar
- 3/5 cup pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably golden colour for its delicate taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large orange, zested
- 1/4 cup dried fruits
- 1 tbsp water
for the cross
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp water
for the glaze
- apricot jam
- pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber for its rich taste)
- Put the almond milk in a saucepan over a medium heat. Once simmering, add the spread, remove from the heat and allow to melt. Set aside to cool to hand temperature.
- Mix the flour, yeast, maple sugar, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk mixture, swiftly combining with a wooden spoon to create a sticky dough. Tip out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough by stretching it back and forth on the surface for 5 – 7 mins or until smooth, springy and elastic. Shape into a ball and put into a lightly oiled mixing bowl. Cover and leave to prove for 2 hours in a warm room until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough back onto the surface and flatten into a round. Spread the orange zest and dried fruits onto the dough and knead again until everything is well distributed. Form into a ball, return to the bowl, cover and leave to rise for another hour.
- Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment. Knock the dough back by turning it out onto your surface and gently punching out the air. Divide the dough into 12 even-sized pieces and shape into balls. Arrange the buns on the baking sheet, leaving a 2cm space between each one. Cover with lightly oiled cling film and leave to rise for 45 mins.
- Heat the oven to 200°C. To make the cross, in a small bowl, mix together the flour with 1 tbsp of water at a time to create a thick, pipeable paste. Spoon it into a piping bag fitted with a small round nozzle and pipe crosses on the buns. Transfer to the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 20 mins or until deep golden brown.
- For the glaze, gently heat the jam and maple syrup in a small saucepan over a low heat then use to glaze the buns.
- Leave to cool before serving.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetiser to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you!