for the bunny brioche
- 1 1/3 cups strong bread flour
- 1/3 cup maple sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 sachet of dry instant yeast
- 3 eggs, plus 1 egg for egg wash
- 3/4 cup + 3 tsp unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- 3/4 cup milk
- dried fruits (we used sultanas, apricots and pecans)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber for its rich taste) to decorate
- large handful of maple flakes to decorate
To make the bunny brioche
- Place all the ingredients in a stand mixer bowl apart from the butter.
- Use a dough hook to mix everything together. Use the lowest speed for twominutes and start gradually adding the softened butter, then increase to a medium speed for five minutes while gradually adding the remaining butter.
- The dough should now be very soft, scrape down the sides of the bowl to remove any excess, then move the dough to a larger bowl, cover with a tea towel and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough and then cut into eight 4-ounce pieces. Roll one piece with the flats of your hands into a 12-inch rope.
- Do a twist with the dough to make a bunny or design any other shape.
- Repeat to form remaining bunnies; you will use 2 lined baking sheets for 8 bunnies. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and prove in a warm spot for 15 minutes, until almost doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c.
- Beat egg to make egg wash.
- Remove plastic wrap from the baking sheets and brush dough with egg wash.
- Bake in the centre of the oven until beautifully browned for 12-15 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Brush the bunnies with maple syrup and sprinkle maple flakes onto the tails.
An Easter-themed brioche recipe, enriched with a light dusting of cinnamon and the natural sweetness of pure maple syrup. The dough is worked carefully and twisted into the shape of a bunny before being baked in the oven. Maple flakes and an extra drizzle of maple syrup add the finishing touches to this fun and delicious Easter bunny brioche.
Like the look of this brioche bun recipe? Check out some of our other baking recipes and sweet treats below!
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetiser to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you!