- 1 whole chicken
- 2 1/2 cups of mushrooms
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 whole white cabbage/pak choi (shredded)
- 2 cups rice vermicelli noodles
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 onion, outer skin removed
- 1 inch of ginger
- 1 stalk of lemon grass
- 1 celery
- 5 tbs of pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably golden colour for its delicate taste)
- 1-2 limes, cut into wedges
- A handful of peanuts, chopped
- A handful of coriander
- Boil a whole chicken in water with the carrot, onion, ginger, lemongrass, celery and maple syrup for an hour and a half, removing impurities from the top of the water as needed
- Take the chicken out of the stock and remove the skin and fat and shred the meat from the bones
- Remove the veg from the stock and discard
- Boil the remaining stock on a high heat and reduce by a third. Once the stock is ready cook the noodles for 30 seconds until soft
- Add a portion of the mushrooms, shredded chicken, pak choi, chilli and noodles to a large serving bowl and pour over the hot stock
- On a side plate add coriander, peanuts, lime wedges and chilli and use to flavour each individual soup to taste
Boiling a chicken in this naturally flavoursome stock is a healthy and delicious way to enjoy a traditional Asian chicken noodle soup. Made with ginger, lemongrass and Canadian maple syrup, the stock offers just the right amount of sweetness to balance the spice from the chilli. Not only that, but you can also bottle up the stock to reheat and pour over leftovers.
Like the look of this chicken noodle soup recipe? Check out our other chicken recipes below!
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetiser to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you!