For the pancake batter
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber for its rich taste)
- 3 large eggs
- 25g melted butter
- 200ml milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
For the chicken
- 500g skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
For the gochujang sauce
- 5 tbsp gochujang chilli paste
- 5 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust taste)
- 1 tbsp maple sugar
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- to serve
- 1 cup potato starch or cornflour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Handful of sesame seeds
- 2 stalks of spring onion, thinly sliced at an angle
To make the batter
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. In a separate bowl or jug, whisk together the milk, maple syrup and eggs, then whisk in the melted butter.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour and, using a whisk, beat until you have a smooth batter. Any lumps will soon disappear with a little mixing. Let the batter stand for a few minutes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a little bit of oil.
- Add a ladle of batter (or two if your frying pan is big enough to cook two pancakes at the same time). It will seem very thick, but this is how it should be.
- Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1cm/½cm in thickness.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up.
To make the marinated chicken
- Put all ingredients in a large bowl, stir and cover with cling film.
- Place in the fridge to marinate for at least 5 hours or overnight for best results.
To make the gochujang sauce
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan. Heat over a low heat, stirring for 5-10 minutes until thickened and glossy.
To make the Korean fried chicken pancakes
- Preheat your deep fat frier or a deep pan filled with oil to 180C.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and add the potato starch. Toss until all the chicken is evenly coated.
- Add the chicken to the frier or a deep pan and fry for 4-6 minutes. Drain on a wire rack with paper towels underneath.
- Place the fried chicken in a large bowl and pour over the gochujang sauce. Toss the chicken until every piece is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds then add the chicken onto the stacked pancakes. Drizzle any remaining sauce over the stack.
- Garnish with sliced spring onions.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetiser to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you!