For the ham:
- 6lbs ham, on the bone
For the glaze:
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup + 2 tbsp maple sugar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
To prepare the ham:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Start by removing the hard rind from the ham. To do this, cut a deep circle all around the shank end of the bone.
- At the opposite end, insert a sharp knife between the fat and the rind to begin separating the layers.
- Using your fingers, gently pull the rind away from the fat, trying to keep as much of the fat as possible on the ham.
- Continue to pull the rind away down to the incision on the shank end. Discard the rind.
- Using a sharp knife, score the fat in horizontal and vertical lines across the ham, to form diamond shapes.
- Line a large roasting tray with baking parchment and place the ham in the tray.
To make the glaze:
- In a saucepan, combine all the glaze ingredients.
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously for around 5 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and glossy.
To make the ham:
- Brush one third of the glaze evenly over the ham, then cook for 30 minutes.
- Take the ham out the oven, brush with another third of the glaze and add ½ cup of water to the base to stop the glaze from catching, then cook for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the ham from the oven, baste with the remaining glaze and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the ham again and carefully baste with the cooking juices and cook for a final 15 minutes or until glossy and golden.
- Cover with tinfoil and rest for 20-30 minutes before slicing.
Elevate an Australian Christmas classic with our spiced sticky maple glazed ham. A perfect centrepiece that can be easily prepped ahead of time and still delivers maximum taste on the big day.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetiser to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you!