- 5 oz plain tempeh
- 3 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 4 hot dog buns
- 2 green onions
- 1 ⅕ cups cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- Lettuce leaves, to garnish
- Cut the block of tempeh into 4 long sticks.
- In a skillet or small saucepan, combine the tomato paste, soy sauce, maple syrup, water, liquid smoke, garlic powder and mustard.
- Bring to a boil and add the tempeh ‘sausages’. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened, turning the tempeh a few times.
- Top buns with mayonnaise, a tempeh dog and sauce, followed by green onions, cherry tomatoes and lettuce, along with any other garnishes of your choice.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetiser to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you!